Wedding Frequently Asked Questions
- If there is a coordinator, will they be there for the duration of the reception?
Yes, they will be present until 6:30pm on the day and if unavailable, another representative from the Sales Team whom you will have already met and spoken with, will be there in her place.
- Do you have a one wedding per day policy?
- Is the venue available for exclusive use?
- How flexible are your packages?
Our packages are set packages.
- Are there any changes planned to the building before the wedding (renovations, painting etc)?
We currently do not have any planned renovations of our hotel grounds.
- Which rooms are licensed for ceremonies?
The Strand Suite, Links Suite, Front Lawn and Secret Garden are all available for civil ceremonies only.
- Is the ceremony to take place in the same room as the reception?
No, they will always be held in separate rooms unless strongly requested by the wedding couple.
- What is the changeover plan for converting from ceremony to reception?
The guests will attend the ceremony, the newly married couple will walk through the ceremony aisle to a separate area which will lead then to the drinks reception or dinner (whichever event falls next in their itinerary).
- Are there any alternative (or outdoor) locations for non-legal ceremonies?
Couples are welcome to hold their civil ceremony in any of the aforementioned locations throughout the hotel.
- Are we allowed to have confetti?
Biodegradable confetti is welcome.
Food & Wine
- Is a complimentary menu and wine tasting included?
How many people can attend? Yes. A menu tasting will be scheduled 8-10 weeks out from the wedding date for both people getting married. Additional guests may be included at an additional charge.
- How much wine/champagne/tea & coffee is included per person?
Glass of prosecco per person
- Wine choices – what are the wine choices and what are the upgrade costs?
House wines offered with opportunity to upgrade to other wines at an additional supplement.
- Do you charge a corkage fee?
Couples are welcome to bring their own wine at €15 per bottle and €25 for prosecco/champagne.
- Is the champagne toast complimentary?
- Are there any additional charges for bar staff or waiting staff?
- What time is the meal served?
Call for dinner is 17:00, dinner starts around 17:45 depending on numbers.
- Do you cater for special dietary requirements? Coeliac? Vegetarian?
Yes, as long as given the appropriate notice, the chef will amend the menu to cater to any guests’ dietary restrictions.
- Is there an option for dinner the night before or a BBQ the day after?
Yes depending on numbers.
- Is there a late night food option, what time is it served?
Yes. Late night food is served no later than 10.30pm.
- Where is the cocktail hour or drinks reception held?
The drinks reception may be held in either the Secret Garden, or Links Suite.
- Can we serve signature cocktails?
Yes, however there may be an additional cost depending on ingredients/garnish/preparation requirements.
The Reception: Make it Your Own
- What crockery/linen/cutlery is provided as part of the package?
All. Our house set of crockery, linen and cutlery will all be available to you on the day. If you prefer something different, please bring this to our team at the time of your wedding detailing.
- Is any décor/stationery provided (menus, centrepieces, red carpet, flowers, cake stand)? Are there alternatives available?
We will take care of your menu for you, basic centrepieces of candelabras and mirror bases will be provided as well as a red carpet upon arrival and some flowers (bridal suite, long and low for top table, ceremony long and low)
- Can I move things around and decorate to suit my purposes, or do I have to leave everything as is?
We are very flexible here at Portmarnock and want your day to be as much to your dream as possible, please bring all ideas and requests that you have to our team at the time of your wedding detailing and we will accommodate you wherever we are able.
- If you want to set up and decorate the venue the day before the wedding, can we gain access, what time?
Depending on availability in-house, of course. Please call the Sales Office at +353 1 866 6503 to enquire.
- Can we hang things on the wall or from the ceilings?
Unfortunately we do not allow anything to be attached to our walls or ceilings.
- Do we need to bring in a contractor to hang decor or lights?
Entirely depending on what is being set up.
The Wedding Party
- Where does the band set up? Where is the dancefloor/how big is it/does anything have to be moved to create the dancefloor? The band will set up in the main dining room, depending on your total numbers one or two tables may need to be removed to accommodate the stage.
- Does the wedding venue already own a sound system with adequate speakers or will that need to be rented?
We do not own a full PA system at the hotel, we strongly recommend that all entertainment provide their own as our in-house system is only compatible for speeches and background music.
- Will the band be able to set up beforehand or does it have to be during changeover?
Depending on total numbers for dinner, the band is more than welcome to set up prior to the meal if the space allows.
- Will the band have to go through the reception to set up or is there separate access?
The band is welcome to use the staff service hallway for all set-up if need be.
- Do you have microphones in the venue for the speeches?
- Can I hook an iPod or laptop up to your sound system?
Yes. (there is a volume limit in the main ballroom, this is fine however for the Strand and Links suites.)
- Is there a late bar?
How late will the bar be open? There are late bar options, the standard last-call is 12:30.
- Is there a charge for a bar extension?
Yes. Bar extension to 1:30 is €530.
- What time do guests have to leave the venue?
Guests are given one hour past the bar’s last call to finish their drink and leave the premises.
- What is the capacity for evening/afters guests?
Residents bar in the hotel (exclusively available to those staying in the hotel) has a maximum capacity of 30 people.
- Is the bridal suite included in the price? Are complimentary rooms provided for the parents or any of the wedding party?
Yes, a suite is complimentarily included in all packages.
- What accommodation does the venue offer, will there be discounted rates for guests at the wedding?
Preferential rates will be offered at the time of contract. 15 bedrooms will be offered at preferential rate.
- Are there B&Bs and other hotels in the area for guests? Can you provide a list?
- Are there reliable taxi companies in the area?
- When is the check-out time?
- Can we block book rooms for guests? If so, how long can they be held for?
Yes, 1 month prior to the wedding.
- Can the bridal party get ready at the venue?
Yes if booked from the night prior.
- Is the venue child friendly? What facilities are available for entertaining children?
- Is there a lift/facilities/access for elderly guests or those with a disability?
- Is there enough parking for my guests and is it free?·
- Is there a heated outdoor space for smoking or where my guests can mingle?
- How many toilets are there?
4 in the ladies, 4 in the gents with 3 urinals.
- Is there somewhere secure to store wedding gifts?
We recommend storing all gifts in the wedding couple’s suite.
- Does the venue have public liability insurance?
- Is there a payment schedule? What kind of deposits are required?
Yes; €1500 on signing contracts which is non-refundable, €3500 three months out, remainder of payment due one week out.
- What’s the cancellation policy? What costs are incurred if the numbers on the day differ to the final numbers?
Final numbers are required 1 week prior and will be charged accordingly.
- Are there special reductions for off-peak (e.g. Monday – Thursday or January to March?)
10% off packages mid-week.
- Is there a service fee included?
No. Service charge is at guests’ own discretion.